By invoking the 60-40 rule that only they seem to have the ability to do, the U.S. Senate Republicans essentially killed President Obama's jobs bill tonight. Democratic Senators Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Jon Tester of Montana, both facing difficult re-election campaigns next year, joined the GOP.
So, just in case you're not keeping count of all the things the GOP is officially against, as demonstrated by the candidates and responses given at the 300+ and counting GOP debates and by their rejection of the jobs bill, here's a reminder of some positions the Grand Old Party has:
- Let the uninsured die. After all, it is their own fault.
- Kill the guilty, or at least those found to be guilty, and don't give it a second thought.
- Don't support Planned Parenthood, despite the fact that contraception makes up for 35% of their services and abortions only 3%.
- It's okay to boo a member of the U.S. military.
- If you're unemployed and/or not rich, that's also your fault.
- If two Democrats play golf with two Republicans, they're the, uh, three? stooges.
- The Obama Administration, which has been hamstrung at every turn by a recalcitrant GOP that refuses, on some kind of bizarre principle, to vote in favor of anything he is in favor of, is a worse tragedy than the 9/11 attacks that killed 2,752 people.
- We need to take the country back, they say, from big business, except when it comes to accepting big checks from big bidness, then in that case not so much.
- Arab Spring protesters are fighting to overthrow oppressive dictators. Occupy Wall Street protesters are an angry mob, advocating anarchy and class warfare and are actually participating in "Obama demonstrations."
- Old, wealthy white people dressed like Benjamin Franklin and wearing teabags, holding misspelled signs and racist Photoshopped pictures of President Obama are patriots.
- Extraordinary rendition and enhanced interrogation techniques led to the capturing of Osama bin Laden. Except they didn't. It was FBI interrogators putting the pieces together. (The CIA in fact knew that the money man for the 9/11 attacks was in the country prior to the attack but didn't share that info with anybody.)
- AND, the occupy Wall Street protestors have no cause. In fact, those of us on the left understand completely what Bill'O the Clown and Rush "Me More Drugs" Limbaugh and their ick don't: the difference between the haves and the have nots in the this country has never been broader. 1% of the population controls a disproportionate amount of wealth, are taxed at an inordinately low rate and, perhaps most importantly, Wall Street firms and banks received billions in bailouts to survive after a series of actions, unfettered by regulation, almost broke the world economy. And then, as soon as they got our money, it was back to obscene bonuses and sitting on the money instead of making legitimate loans. My favorite quote from the idiocracy on the right: The pizza dude, admitting he didn't "have facts" to back up his accusation, nonetheless expressed his belief that Occupation Wall Street was “planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama Administration."