"The problem with those who choose received Authority over fact and logic is how they choose which part of Authority to obey. The Bible famously contradicts itself at many points (I have never understood why any Christian would choose the Old Testament over the New), and the Koran can be read as a wonderfully compassionate and humanistic document. Which suggests that the problem of fundamentalism lies not with authority, but with ourselves."
The late, great, much missed Molly Ivins
Texas Governor Rick Perry continues to flirt with throwing his 10-gallon hat into the ring, right there next to Michele Bachmann's tinfoil one. His list:
- On Aug. 6, Perry will host "The Response" at Reliant Stadium in Houston. Having decided that America's problems are too big for mere mortals to handle, Perry has turned to the Book of Joel, Chapter 1, verse 15, which says the only solution is a "sacred assembly" to convince sinners to turn to God, "with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning." Church. State. What's the dif?
- Earlier this month, Perry signed a bill in the Texas Leg that would reduce the state's family planning funding from $111 million to $34 million, then gave the decision on which agency gets how much to the state Department of Health. And Planned Parenthood is the lowest priority.
- Since he took office in 2000, the state of Texas has executed more than 200 people. That's number one in the country. But, he's anti-abortion. Life, scmife.
- In April 2009, Perry endorsed a resolution supporting state sovereignty, under the argument that such authority is reserved by the 10th Amendment to the United States Constitution. On April 9, 2009, Perry said, "I believe that our federal government has become oppressive in its size, its intrusion into the lives of our citizens, and its interference with the affairs of our State. That is why I am here today to express my unwavering support for efforts all across our country to reaffirm the States' rights affirmed by the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe that returning to the letter and spirit of the U.S. Constitution and its essential 10th Amendment will free our State from undue regulations, and ultimately strengthen our Union."
- Perry is known for his opposition to gay rights, opposing all legal recognition of same-sex marriages. He condemned the United States Supreme Court decision in Lawrence vs. Texas, which struck down a Texas sodomy law, saying he believed the law to be "appropriate".